Wednesday, January 03, 2007

How Writing Saves Me

Do you ever have those days, those times when you don’t want to write? When it’s more than a, “Nah, I don’t feel like it,” but more like an active dislike of the act?

That’s the way I felt today. It’s just been one of those days for no apparent reason. I’m discouraged about how the book is selling. I’m feeling overwhelmed about this other book project, one I had been looking forward to diving into after the first of the year. I’m battling feelings of, “What does it matter? Is it worth it? What’s the point?”

Okay, so maybe there are some apparent reasons.

At any rate, today I needed to work on the monthly enewsletter I do. And I did not want to. Like at all. But it kept nagging at me until I said, “FINE. I will write something but it won’t be any good. So there.”

And that’s pretty much what happened BUT I polished here and edited there and it’s shaping up to be okay. The payoff is that by pushing through and writing even when I wasn’t feeling the love, it made me feel so much better on so many levels. Has this ever happened to you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Yes! I know exactly how that whole thing feels but it's because of you - dear friend - that I emailed Anna Beth Chao to ask how I should go about having a blog. Keetha DePriest Reed it's you who has inspired me to get a blog going to try to make something happen for myself in 2007. Your blog and photos only inspire me more. Thank you for befriending me in 2006.2007 is going to be fabuous!

Much Love,
Lisa Cookston

9:26 PM  
Blogger Keetha said...

How kind! I don't know if I can take all that credit but thanks so much. We are both going to do great things in 2007 - I look forward to lots of fun and productivity! Be sure to keep us updated on your blog.

7:53 AM  
Blogger John Rose said...

To answer your question: Yeah. All the time. It hurts because you're writing and you feel like it's awful, but it hurts worse when you don't do it. You gotta come out swinging and keep punching, and at some point some thread pops up that starts making sense and you follow that. Writing is sometimes one continuous thing and sometimes it's bits stitched together. Like a Frankenstein monster. (Heh.)

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home